~ 3 Exit Strategy Stars ~
Exit Strategy is a decent start to Lean Diaz series EXIT Inc. I’ve not had the pleasure of reading Lena Diaz before, so this was a new to me author. I am also not a big contemporary reader, so when it comes to contemporary books, I am a little more choosey on the ones I pick up to read.
It turns out that the EXIT Inc. series is a spinoff of her Deadly Games series. Exit Strategy reads well enough on it’s own and I did not realize when going into this book that it was a spinoff. As for the book there where things I liked and disliked about this novel.
- I enjoyed the concept/idea of the EXIT Inc. company. It’s a company that works in secret, eliminating the bad guys—terrorists, militia groups, all those who would do America harm. It’s a great idea, of course if the guys in power don’t abuse it.
- Sabrina our heroine was pretty tuff for everything that has happened in her life and then getting kidnapped. She has a distinctively honed sense of justice, isn’t afraid to defend herself or speak her mind, and is determined to find answers. It’s great reading about a heroine who can stand on her own.
- The action was great, once it hit the pages the author gave us no shortage. Our characters ended up getting no time to rest and what little downtime they had was short. I felt bad for Sabrina a few times when things got harry, but she survived it like a trouper and instead of sitting on the sidelines she wanted to fight alongside Mason.
- The start of the story was very slow going, but once you hit the 50% mark everything changes and the pace picks up considerably.
- I had a little trouble with the attraction/feelings at the begging of the book that our characters where having. It just felt out of place, weird, and reminded me a little of stock-home syndrome. But, once the story progressed the relationship became more realistic. I also enjoyed there sexy time that occurred. It happened in a very unusual place, at least for me, but it was fun to read. And, of course Sabrina brings it up at the end in a very fun conversation with Mason.
- The ending was a bit disappointing. It felt rushed after the big Council meeting and death. Plus how could The Council be so blind about their guy abusing the system? I felt that things didn’t get resolved enough at the end. I also wanted a little more closer; especially with so much of the action that was drawn out, I had hoped for a bigger finale.
All and all this was an acceptable read and I am curious to see where things go with the EXIT Inc. series. Exit Strategy gives us a little mystery, some non-stop action, twists and turns, and a delightful romance!
Was this review helpful? If so, please consider liking it on Goodreads (Angela)!
Originally from Kentucky, romantic suspense author Lena Diaz also lived in California and Louisiana before settling in Northeast Florida with her husband, two children, and a Shetland Sheepdog named Sparky. A Romance Writers of America Golden Heart® finalist, she’s won the prestigious Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery/Suspense and has been a finalist for the National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award. She loves to watch action movies, garden, and hike in the beautiful Tennessee Smoky Mountains.
★ Check out the previous Blog Tour of Exit Strategy featuring an Excerpt ★